[GTALUG] 2 networks under ip (iproute2)

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Fri Feb 27 23:35:23 UTC 2015

On 02/27/2015 06:22 PM, Scott Allen wrote:
> On 27 February 2015 at 18:00, James Knott <james.knott at rogers.com> wrote:
>> Yep, with IPv6, an interface may have several addresses.  They always
>> have at least the link local and 1 or more routable addresses.
> Shouldn't that be "[...] and 0 or more routable addresses"? I thought
> you needed only a link local address, if the device doesn't need to
> talk any further than its local net.

Technically yes, but you won't get very far with only a link local
address.  You also have to specify which interface to use, even if
there's only one.  For example, ping6 has an option "-I" which you have
to use if you ping an IPv6 link local address.  You have to do something
similar with browsers etc.  One thing that uses IPv6 link local
addresses is the Windows Home Group networking.  It won't even work
without IPv6 enabled.