[GTALUG] 2 networks under ip (iproute2)

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Fri Feb 27 15:35:26 UTC 2015

On 02/27/2015 10:26 AM, William Park wrote:
> 169.254. looks awfully familiar, and it only comes up when device can't
> get IP.  Things would go easier if HDHomerun got an IP from the router.

Here's some info on it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address#IPv4

Note that it says you shouldn't use it and regular IP addresses
together.  This is because computers will use either a regular IP
address or a link local address, but not both.  It takes more
configuration to provide both on the same interface.  It can be done,
but shouldn't be.

I agree the cause of this problem is that device using a 169.254.0.0 /16
address.  It should use DHCP or a static address.