[GTALUG] OT: Canadian source for electronics hobby gear, parts

kcozens kcozens at ve3syb.ca
Wed Feb 25 02:42:37 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-24 12:17, William Witteman wrote:
> I have been asked to make a small electronic device.  I have
> instructions, but the supplies are sourced from US or UK companies,
> which of course incur heavy shipping and exchange-rate taxes.
>
> Does anyone have a source for electronics gear in Canada

There used to be about 6 parts stores in the Victoria Park and Steeles
area years ago but several of them have closed shop.

Sayal may still be there, and Future (or was it Active?) Electronics. I
always forget which is whichof Future and Active. I think Future
supports the commercial buyers while Active is more for the
consumer/hobbyist. The URL for Future is
http://www.futureelectronics.com/

Electrosonic (http://www.e-sonic.com/) used to be there but they closed
shop. I had heard they moved operations to the US but that might have
changed again since then.

If you are looking for prototype quantities there is always eBay. You
can do a search for Canadian sellers of parts.

Other options would be Arrow Electronics (http://www.arrow.com/), and
AVNET (http://www.avnet.com/). If you did want to check places in the
states you have Mouser, DigiKey, and Futurelec.