[GTALUG] Connection Refused

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Feb 20 22:45:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 04:40:45PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> "Open port 25" disappeared at around the time of the Code Red worm
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Red_%28computer_worm%29)
>
> When infected hosts sending out spam got to be a gigantic plague, it became
> common for ISPs to block port 25 to cut down on the amount of spam they
> were forwarding.
>
> I seriously doubt that your ISP will be willing to change their port blocks.
> They will most likely say something about "blah, blah, security best practice."
>
> An actual reference to claimed security best practice is thus:
>   <https://www.m3aawg.org/sites/maawg/files/news/MAAWG_Port25rec0511.pdf>

Well from what I have found, teksavvy at least blocks port 25 outbound
for dynamic IP users, and does not block it for static IP users (unless
they get spam complaints for that specific IP in which case they will
add a block for that IP only).

So that explains why it is not blocked for me at least.

--
Len Sorensen