[GTALUG] Raid 10 repair question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 16:18:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 10:54 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>
wrote:

> You should read manpage of 'mdadm', paying particular attention to its
> arguments.  So,
>     man mdadm
> and search for options
>     -D -v --add

This was one of the first things I did BEFORE I installed the new drive.

Thank you for the exact command.

Would you be able to verify that I can only use gparted on a non-running
system?

<rant on>

Man pages are largely incomprehensible to the average user. I think that
there are almost totally designed for someone who is hugely conversant
with what is being done and just needs a reminder of which command does
what. Now for someone who doesn't program a man page provides mostly
no examples (ones that will work or ones that won't). There is no listing of
a group of commands to do things (as you have done above) telling you that
this string will achieve this result. Even better would be if they would
then
tell you that if you don't get this result (with an example) but you get x
- -
then this went wrong which you fix like this or if you get y - - - that went
wrong which you fix like that.

When I have done something 20 times the man page becomes an OK tool
(often far too terse but still useable) but when I have done something once
- -
well a man page most often makes the problem worse.

(Then I get told to "just google it" and the first 20 hits are at least 6
if not 12
to 15 years old - - - so what the net pukes out just isn't useful. Makes it
quite difficult to fix problems that one hasn't run into before. The fact
that
fixing some of my problems has had my wife telling me that I'm wasting too
much time and that I could hire someone to do this for me if I just were
running MS Win - - - I have been able to resist this but logically she has a
point - - - my computers are tools not time sinks!)

<rant off>

Thanking you for your assistance AND consideration!!

Dee