[GTALUG] Connection Refused

Randy Jonasz rjonasz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 03:59:01 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have an ubuntu 14.04 server running postfix.  I wanted to test it with
telnet on port 25.  Alas I receive connection refused errors although I
can ssh to the server fine and see that master is listening on port 25.
I ssh'd to another machine outside of my lan and tried telnet from
there.  I was able to connect fine.  Does anyone have any suggestions
how I can troubleshoot this? My hosts.deny file is empty.

Here's the server's iptables -L output.  My wan address is not listed.
Thanks for your help!

Randy

root at foucault:/etc/postfix# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
fail2ban-ErrorAccess  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
multiport dports http,https
fail2ban-ReqLimit  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
multiport dports http,https
fail2ban-dovecot  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
multiport dports smtp,urd,submission,imap2,imap3,imaps,pop3,pop3s
fail2ban-postfix  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
multiport dports smtp,urd,submission
fail2ban-ssh-ddos  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
multiport dports ssh
fail2ban-ssh  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere
multiport dports ssh

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain fail2ban-ErrorAccess (1 references)
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain fail2ban-ReqLimit (1 references)
REJECT     all  --  hosted-by.sistem724.com.tr  anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain fail2ban-dovecot (1 references)
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain fail2ban-postfix (1 references)
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain fail2ban-ssh (1 references)
REJECT     all  --  www.albena.bg        anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  182.100.67.115       anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  dynamicip-188-232-146-41.pppoe.omsk.ertelecom.ru
anywhere             reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  outgoing-auas.carlson.com  anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  221.233.125.180      anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  2h56.xjtu.edu.cn     anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  vps3d196-static.vdrs.net  anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  static.vdc.vn        anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  grupoazul130.static.host.gvt.net.br  anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  182.100.67.114       anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  luna933.server4you.de  anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  115.231.222.45       anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  115.239.228.7        anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  115.239.228.15       anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  static.vdc.vn        anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  218.205.48.105       anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  115.239.228.4        anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  5-14-20-84.residential.rdsnet.ro  anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  94.102.53.182        anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  dynamic.vdc.vn       anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  59.57.253.94         anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  115.239.228.9        anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  183.136.216.4        anywhere