[GTALUG] Raid 10 repair question

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Feb 19 23:04:52 UTC 2015

On 19/02/15 05:14 PM, o1bigtenor wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
> <mailto:lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 05:04:16PM -0600, o1bigtenor wrote:
>> Now I used gdisk to set things up so likely that is where I will
>> need to start - - - hmmmmmmmmmmm.
>>
>> Has anyone done anything like this in the somewhat recent past?
>>
>> (Wondering if when disk is partitioned that mdadm will happily
>> absorb that disk into the array. Likely will need another reboot
>> too!)
>
> There should be zero reboots required for this.
>
> Most partition tools do a partition table reread automatically when
> you exit, or you can use 'hdparm -z /dev/sdX' to do it.  If
> /proc/partitions shows the new sizes, you are good to go.
>

> Is there a way to partition the drive in a running system?
>
> The only way that I know of is to reboot onto a rescue disk and
> use gparted there to partition the drive.
>
> I have not been able to find anything using duckduck nor ms
> google.
>
> A complete back is just finishing as I write this.
>
> Thanking those that have contributed to the conversation for their
> assistance!!
>
> Dee

You can use parted on running systems just fine. On older systems, the
drive with the OS will not update the partition table until you
reboot, but repartitioning other drives should be updated fine. Parted
will warn you if a reboot is needed.

On newer systems, even the drive under the running OS can be updated
without a reboot.

- --
Digimer
access to education?