[GTALUG] RAID and IX-2-dl

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 22:39:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 4:12 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> | From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>
>
> | It offers me RAID 1, RAID 0, and "none".  I don't think that I want
> | either RAID and I'm not sure what "none" is.
>
> Here's an explanation:
>
>         ●       Mirror (RAID 1)
> Uses half of the storage space for protection, leaving half for actual
> data.
>         ●       None (RAID 0)
> Uses all of the storage space for data. Does not protect against data
> loss in the event of drive failure; however, the drives are striped
> for better performance.
>         ●       None
> Uses all of the storage space for data, providing contiguous storage
> space by concatenating all member drives. Does not protect against
> data loss in the event of drive failure.
>
> So none of these choices do what I want.
>
> I might be willing to give up half the space if there were a feature like
> Windows Home Server's "folder duplication".  I think that this duplicates
> files on a different volume.

Why not use RAID10 so you have striped AND mirrored.

That should give you your performance and some security. (One can
always have more security!)

Haven't had any issue but a single drive failure (that I've just gotten a
replacement drive for and am working on its implementation into the array)
in three years. I've not had any issues with speed nor capacity.

(My array is 4 1TB drives.)

YMMV

Dee