[GTALUG] RAID and IX-2-dl

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Feb 19 22:12:19 UTC 2015

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>

| It offers me RAID 1, RAID 0, and "none".  I don't think that I want
| either RAID and I'm not sure what "none" is.

Here's an explanation:

 	● 	Mirror (RAID 1)
Uses half of the storage space for protection, leaving half for actual
data.
	● 	None (RAID 0)
Uses all of the storage space for data. Does not protect against data
loss in the event of drive failure; however, the drives are striped
for better performance.
	● 	None
Uses all of the storage space for data, providing contiguous storage
space by concatenating all member drives. Does not protect against
data loss in the event of drive failure.

So none of these choices do what I want.

I might be willing to give up half the space if there were a feature like
Windows Home Server's "folder duplication".  I think that this duplicates
files on a different volume.