[GTALUG] Volunteers for Open Source Comes to Campus on Feb 28, 2015

Dawn Walker dawn.walker at utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 19 16:01:20 UTC 2015

Hi all,

My name is Dawn Walker, I am a Graduate Student at the Faculty of
Information at UofT. I’m helping run a free event to introduce students
to free/libre/open source software on February 28, 2015 at University of
Torontocalled Open Source Comes to Campus in conjunction with OpenHatch
<https://openhatch.org/>(https://openhatch.org/).

We're looking for people to help mentor attendees in a variety of ways
as they learn how to contribute to open source projects:

  *

    Instruction
    <https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum>on topics
    like open source community norms, issue trackers, IRC and git

  *

    Participation on a Career Panel
    <https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum/Career_Panel>

  *

    Lead a contributions workshop
    <https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum#Contributions_Workshop>around
    a specific project (in this case potentially Open Street Map!)

  *

    Or, volunteer to support attendees throughout the day!

The event run from 10am - 5pm, with coffee, tea and socializing for a
half hour beforehand (Mentors don't need to show up at 9:30am sharp, but
should be there by 9:45, we will also provide a lunch!).

Instructors with a variety of backgrounds are welcome: while it's great
if you have tons of experience using git and setting up development
environments, we're also looking for people who've been involved with
open source as non-programmers, who know a bit about picking bugs and
submitting patches, or who just like to talk about their experiences
with open source.

Here are links to find out more about the Event
<https://events.openhatch.org/events/2>(https://events.openhatch.org/events/2)
and Code of Conduct
<https://openhatch.org/wiki/OpenHatch_event_code_of_conduct>(https://openhatch.org/wiki/OpenHatch_event_code_of_conduct).

If this sounds interesting to you, and you're available on February 28
please email me back at dawn.walker at utoronto.ca
<mailto:dawn.walker at utoronto.ca> and/or sign up on our Event Page
<https://events.openhatch.org/events/2>(https://events.openhatch.org/events/2)<mailto:dawn.walker at utoronto.ca>,
I'd love to answer any further questions you might have!

Best,
Dawn Walker

MI Candidate, Faculty of Information

University of Toronto