[GTALUG] Raid 10 repair question

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 00:22:18 UTC 2015

Hi

On 17/02/15 06:04 PM, o1bigtenor wrote:
> Now I used gdisk to set things up so likely that is where I will
> need to start - - - hmmmmmmmmmmm.
>
> Has anyone done anything like this in the somewhat recent past?

Yes, I faced your problem late last year.

You need to prepare your new drive to match existing drive. If the other 3 are not partitioned, leave the new one unpartitioned.

Then you have to force it into the array using mdadm tool. I know, I spent says avoiding force until Lennart advised to go that way.

Search the tlug old mail for that conversation. If you can't find it, I can look around for precise steps I used to get back up. On transit at the moment so just relying on memory.

William

> (Wondering if when disk is partitioned that mdadm will happily
> absorb that disk into the array. Likely will need another reboot
> too!)
>
> Dee

I use parted or fdisk, I am not familiar with other tools. In the end,
what matters is that the partition(s) on the new drive match (equal
size or larger) the existing partitions.

You will then have to tell mdadm to use the new partitions. It will
not "just use them".

As Lennart asked; Show us the output of 'cat /proc/mdstat'. Also,
please share the output of:

parted /dev/sda print free
parted /dev/sdb print free
parted /dev/sdc print free