[GTALUG] Raid 10 repair question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 23:02:07 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:

> First, you should have backups. Why not get an external USB drive? You
> can get those quite inexpensive. Heck, even a 64GB thumb drive
> shouldn't be too expensive, though flash is not the most reliable.

I have about 45 GB on the array at present. I had decided to use Blu-ray
discs
for backup when I bought the system. There is no easy to back up method.
(I'm no rsync expert!! just a noob.)

> No matter what, I would start with a good backup. Playing with mdadm
> is relatively safe, but if it's your first time playing with it, you
> can get yourself into trouble.
>
> Hardware RAID controllers often auto-use replacement drives to rebuild
> a degraded array, but mdadm does not. How exactly you go about
> repairing the array depends on your specific configuration and which
> drive failed. You will need to start by partitioning the replacement
> drive such that it matches the existing drives (each array has to have
> a partition equal to or larger than the same partitions on the other
> drives).
>
> Once partitioned (and rebooted, if needed), you will add the new
> partition to the degraded array. Once added, mdadm will start
> re-assembling the array. Note that if one of the arrays has /boot,
> you'll probably need to run grub's install on the raw disk so that it
> can be booted from.

I have a separate drive for systems. The array is for storage.

So partitioning the drive is necessary.
OK - - - I hadn't thought of that!

> The command to add the new partition to an existing array will look
> something like this:
>
> mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sda1
>
> Obviously, the 'mdX' and 'sdYZ' will need to be adjusted for your
> configuration.

You have helped me start the process!