[GTALUG] interesting new approach to forking

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 15:34:49 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-12 07:12 AM, Russell Reiter wrote:
> What happens when you buy the words but they fail you. If you got them
> free, there is no liability.
But there can be: a tort. Torts arise when you are injured or suffer
loss outside a contract, arising from lack of reasonable diligence by
the person causing the injury or loss. The ancient Debian ssh problem -
where a well-meaning admin patched some code that used uninitialized
variables, not realizing it would make connections less secure - could
have created a tort.
>  The minute you pay for the words, you are
> thrust into the deep and murky world of administrative law.
Payment is only one form of consideration required to form a contract. I
suspect that continued use/enjoyment/utility is the consideration for
free software. But what of the software we don't know we're using, like
the low-level stuff that moves our bits about the world: can I choose
not to use that if it takes more than a reasonable effort to find out
what it is?

Wiser folks may of course refer me to the reply given in /Arkell v.
Pressdram/.

cheers,
 Stewart
(a slightly apprehensive One+/Cyanogen user)