[GTALUG] Encrypted backups and sync

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:47:19 UTC 2015

Oops. sorry I accidentally sent the email.

So, I have several laptops and a desktop that I would like to back up and
keep in sync.

* Every client (laptop) is encrypted with cryptsetup and LUKS
* There are different configuration and big image files that  I would like
to back up from each device but not synchronize
* I can host my own server
* I would prefer to store encrypted backup on a cryptsetup and LUKS
partition
* I would like to periodically sync encrypted backup partition to s3/google
drive with minimal overhead
* I only want to mount encrypted backup partition when sync/backup is in
progress and I'm fine with mounting that backup partition with the keys
stored on the client machines in clear text
* I don't have to have web interface or
* I need to automatically do file sync backup for the clients, preferably
based on network location (i.e. when I'm close to backup server, or
connected with a fast link).

I'm thinking of clobbering something together with a bunch of scripts, but
my guess is this problem has been either completely solve, or I can just
use a few big pieces to solve it.

Could you recommend any tools for that?

Thanks,

Alex.