[GTALUG] interesting new approach to forking

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Feb 11 22:50:21 UTC 2015

| From: Russell Reiter <rreiter91 at gmail.com>

| This looks like a false flag operation to me. Skull vs. Bones.

Not sure what you mean.  Are you saying that Cyanogen Inc. might be
simply a spoiling attack from Microsoft on Google/Android under the
Cyanogen Inc. flag?

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>

| So of course at this point any sane person would know that Cyanogen is
| not to be trusted at all.  Don't make any deal with them, because they
| don't care about you at all.

Yeah.  I wonder how much damage this does to One+One owners in the
future.

| I wonder if even Microsoft might start to regret getting involved
| with them.

Perhaps not if the aim is just to bring disrepute and confusion to the Android
world.

What I don't understand is how much Cyanogen Mod is just Cyanogen Inc.

I always thought that Cyanogen Mod was a real plus for the Android
community and hence probably useful for Google.  For one thing, it was
a way of keeping the device manufacturers a little in line (if the
device manufacturers went too far, their customers would jump ship to
CM).  For another, it meant Android had some hacker cred.

I am now (with insufficient research) thinking that I might want to
avoid CM so as to stay out of the clutches of CI.