[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 2 with new chip

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Feb 4 14:59:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 10:23:10PM -0500, tlugys.ats at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> I haven't pay much attention to raspberry-pi before. It comes with an HDMI
> port, is it?
> How fast would it be to play movies from localnetwork, or play youtube
> videos?
>
> From the Official announcement, I saw " NEON-enabled multicore video codecs
> can be over 20x faster", so would this 20x faster be fast enough for
> playing youtube from a browser?

Well certainly the new version does support neon as well as vfp3/vfp4.
Of course it also still has the videocore that supports a number of video
decoding options.  Certainly doing it by CPU only was hopeless on the
original pi, but that's not what they were doing in general as far as
I know.

I see
http://www.raspi.today/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-raspberry-pis-epiphany-web-browser/
says that the original can play 720p videos from youtube and vimeo.
It may be that the new CPU cores will help it do more than that.

--
Len Sorensen