[GTALUG] Lenovo Thinkpad T410

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Feb 3 04:44:28 UTC 2015

| From: John Moniz <john.moniz at sympatico.ca>

| I went back to the store to re-examine the T410 more closely and to look into
| the T420 as someone suggested. My attention switched to a T520 that he had
| available for $20 more than the T410. It has Intel wifi (Centrino) and
| switchable graphics (Intel & Nvidia). It presently has nvidia but he said I
| could get intel graphics instead. I don't know if this switchable thing means
| that I can swap graphics cards.
|
| Unless someone sounds an alarm soon, I'll be buying the T520 later in the
| week.

To me, the display resolution is important.  You can get anything from
1366x768, 1440x900(?), 1920x1080.  There may be an IPS screen option
too, which is quite nice.  You haven't mentioned the resolutions on
the models you are considering.  Does it not matter to you?

The Intel + Nvidia choice is probably better than straight Intel.
After all, you can chose which to use (as Lennart pointed out).  For
my use, the Nvidia would probably not be important, but I'd take it if
it was inexpensive or free.

Clearly the T4x0 is easier to carry than the T5x0.

We have T520, W520, and T530 and they seem to be pretty good
workhorses.  But my main notebook is a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro and that is
much better as a portable device (more screen resolution, lighter,
thinner, longer battery life).  As workstations, the Thinkpads are
much more powerful and upgradeable/repairable.