[GTALUG] VOIP setup

David Mason dmason at ryerson.ca
Thu Dec 31 17:42:13 UTC 2015

I know there are some people on here that know about VOIP and Asterisk, and
I'm looking for some pointers.  I've looked at Asterisk a bit (a while ago)
and it was kind of overwhelming.

I want to have several phones and several phone numbers (a 416 for where I
work, a 905 for where I live, and a 902 for where a bunch of my friends and
family are).  I want to pick up a phone, dial a number and have the
appropriate VOIP phone number be used.  I'd like a different ring tone from
each of the numbers.  I'd like an answering machine function with multiple
mailboxes for various family members.  I'd like to be able to access those
messages (or at least be able to see that there are pending messages) from
an computer.  Some of these may not be possible/easy, but that's what I'd
*like*.

I currently have the 416 number via Primus which connects to a VOIP box (a
Cisco SPA-122 that Primus provided).  Any recommendation for a
cheaper/better supplier for the multiple numbers I want to have?

Thanks for any help! ../Dave