[GTALUG] Beginner Debian Question(s)

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Wed Dec 30 16:22:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 03:15:58PM -0500, Blaise Alleyne wrote:

> On 30/12/15 10:03 AM, Peter King wrote:
> > Now to figure out how to get root, or at least sudo... odd, because
> > while it tells me the default user "linaro" is not in the sudoers group,
> > in /etc/group "linaro" *is* listed as belonging to the sudo group.  Hmmm.
> >

> Weird. So, if you run `groups` sudo is listed as one of the groups?
>
> Is the sudo package installed? (`dpkg --list | grep sudo`) Weird that there'd be
> a sudo group set up if the package wasn't installed.

Got it.  There was a missing "%" in the sudoers file, so it wasn't seeing
"sudo" as a group but as a user.  Fixed it, and now I have sudo working.

The last major hurdle is to try to connect to the internet, which is tricky
because I only have wireless access here and the Roseapple Pi seems not to
recognize my wireless dongle -- though again maybe I'm just clueless under
Debian, since the dongle has a RealTek rtl8192 chip, and there are modules
listed for that in /var/modules/: rtlwifi.ko, rtl8192c.ko, and rtl8192.cu.
registered, but nothing shows up with ip a or with iwconfig, so maybe not.
Or maybe there is some intermediate step I have to take.  Right now I'm
reduced to downloading debian packages by hand, transferring them onto the
SD card, and installing via dpkg -i <package>.deb.  Not too efficient, but
at least I now have iwconfig.  Next up will be lsusb, to see whether the
wireless dongle is recognized or not.

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3311 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42