[GTALUG] distro for old machine and non-expert users

Paul King sciguy at vex.net
Wed Dec 30 15:29:55 UTC 2015

I don't see why that can't be tweaked to suit your chipsets. Only recently
(around 2013) did the Linux kernel drop support for the 386 processor. Also IMO
the 865G is not terribly "ancient". I would change to a different Linux. If you
must have Ubuntu, I would try one of Ubuntu's side projects. I use Ubuntu
Studio (14.10 LTS I believe) and it didn't install Unity (nor was it offered to
me, iirc). It's using XFCE, which is probably closer to what you want.

Ubuntu Studio may not suit your needs but I am under the impression that the
other side projects of Ubuntu may have avoided Unity in some cases. You might
want to look into that.

If old hardware is a priority (sounds like it), I would just go with Debian,
and avoid Ubuntu totally. Or Slackware, but only as a last resort. I mention
Slackware since they are touted to have the best support for old hardware.

Paul King