[GTALUG] Beginner Debian Question(s)

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Wed Dec 30 15:15:58 UTC 2015

On 30/12/15 10:03 AM, Peter King wrote:
> Now to figure out how to get root, or at least sudo... odd, because
> while it tells me the default user "linaro" is not in the sudoers group,
> in /etc/group "linaro" *is* listed as belonging to the sudo group.  Hmmm.

Weird. So, if you run `groups` sudo is listed as one of the groups?

Is the sudo package installed? (`dpkg --list | grep sudo`) Weird that there'd be
a sudo group set up if the package wasn't installed.

The other possibility is that /etc/sudoers has restrictions on what commands can
actually be run with sudo. Though I'm not sure if whether or not it'd give you
that error if that were the case...