[GTALUG] Beginner Debian Question(s)

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 01:00:21 UTC 2015

On Tue 29 Dec 2015 21:36 -0500, Peter King wrote:
> I recently acquired a Roseapple Pi board, for which a system image based on
> Debian 8.1 "Jessie" is provided.

> Searching on Google generally suggests that it's way complicated now to
> just boot to console in Debian.  That seems ridiculous.

I think you may need to conquer this or
"Drop the whole thing from a tall building"
is probably your most viable option. Really gaining root would be the
most important, but my hunch is that is required to boot into console.

> All this is exacerbated by the fact that Debian somehow doesn't recognize
> my wireless dongle (it uses an RTL 8192 chip), even though it's supposed
> to, and I have no ethernet connection to the net.

Will require root and installing/building packages/drivers.

> I haven't been this frustrated by a linux distro in a long time.  My idea
> of a good time is running dwm on a gentoo system, and LXDE looks like a bad
> knockoff of a premodern version of Windows.

Contact the manufacturer.
If you can't gain root via any sanctioned means you will need to
research/implement/deploy local exploits.

The other (possible) option is creating your own custom image where gaining
root is trivial. But this may or may not be possible. Does the device require
cryptographicaly signed images?

The issue is that after using an OS where you get virtual unbounded control,
it's mentally difficult to revert to one where you get ZERO control. Don't
bother trying Android on a locked device. When using Linux it's still important
to be careful of the hardware you choose.