[GTALUG] best choices for tiny mlinux media centre in 2016?

Matt Price moptop99 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 11:35:49 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace my  desktop-based xbmc movie playing box with a much
smaller and more energy-efficient ARM-based DIY project.  II'd love to hear
what other people recommend for specs.  I'd like to build a system with:

- relatively simple and manageable OS (Raspbian has been nice on my old RP
rev b)
- some kind of hobbyist board, raspbi or beaglebone or whatever seems best;
- cheapest possible large ssd drive
- a power button (!)
- a wireless keyboard or other control device
- HDMI out
- some kind of a box to hold everything together (likely self-designed out
of some very cheap scrap materials)
- power source that can drive all these pieces
- as little cost as possible

So, what do you all think?  I really look forward to your suggestions.