[GTALUG] Seeking help with a unique Linux project?

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Tue Dec 22 15:51:19 UTC 2015

I don't think it'll make much of a difference for command line usage. The
differences are more in the graphical desktop environments, packaging and
distribution, etc.

The reason I like KXStudio is that you can install the distribution on the
machine, *or* you can just add the KXStudio repositories to a supported Debian
or Ubuntu installation.

Since I was already using Debian (Jessie), it was convenient for me to just add
the KXStudio repositories to my existing machine. (The only extra step was
getting the Liquorix kernel, since the KXStudio repositories don't include a low
latency kernel.) That way I could have all the stability and familiarity of
Debian, but with up-to-date audio packages, and KXStudio assistance in
optimizing configuration for real-time audio.

I haven't tried AVLinux myself, but I don't think it'll be all that different
from Debian or KXStudio as for as command line access goes.

Blaise

ps I was scanning the discussion on LAU about this. I think F. Silvain is right
that most of the differences between difference audio distributions aren't
relevant for command line usage (
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2015-December/103578.html
) , but he just overlooked a few things:

- package management, software updates: if you're familiar with Debian/Ubuntu,
then you might prefer aptitude/apt-get to Arch's repository management, or vice
versa. This is used for installing new packages, or getting updates to existing
packages

- The audio distributions still might help with some of the configuration for
low latency audio, and getting the latest pro audio packages. You could
certainly make those adjustments manually in a non-audio distro, but if you
haven't done it before, I still think it'd be worth going with something like
AVLinux or KXStudio to reduce that learning curve and get started faster