[GTALUG] hobbyist web hosting recommendations?

Clifford Ilkay clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Mon Dec 21 21:43:43 UTC 2015

On 21/12/15 09:07 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:
>> On Dec 20, 2015 6:28 PM, "Daniel Villarreal" <youcanlinux at gmail.com
>> <mailto:youcanlinux at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I'm looking for web hosting, for my own projects... anyone have any
>>     recommendations?
>
> I'm using Canadian Web Hosting (https://login.canadianwebhosting.com/)
> and have been for several years. I wanted to use a Canadian company so
> I wouldn't have to worry about some of the laws the US government put
> in place in regards to the Internet and US hosted content.

As long as the data you're concerned about has to traverse the Internet,
having the server in Canada offers only the illusion of data protection.
Packets might have to traverse the United States and even if they
didn't, do you really think that an American IP transit provider can
resist the pressure of the American government and not allow the
government to collect data as they see fit?

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+1 647-778-8696