[GTALUG] hobbyist web hosting recommendations?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Dec 21 18:24:42 UTC 2015

I've heard nice things about CloudAtCost http://www.cloudatcost.com/
- -- One price ($35) for a VPS forever. Local to Waterloo, so no foreign
interception worries.

I have to admit I haven't used CloudAtCost since I self-host as much
as I can. But it might be nice to experiment with.

I've used shared hosting from CCj/Clearline
http://ccjclearline.com/hosting.html (also local to Waterloo) -- Both
easier and more difficult because they take care of OS and application
upgrades & installation.

- --Bob.

On 21/12/15 06:08 PM, Daniel Villarreal wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded with a serious, constructive
> reply.
>
> I used to work in the industry. When I can have access to shared
> hosting for 1.15 a month for the first year, and 3.24 a month
> thereafter, for up to three web sites, then that seems to me to be
> worth a look.
>
> Of course, I need to review all these recommendations for companies
> to see what best serves my computing needs.
>
> Thanks again! Daniel Villarreal
>
> On 12/21/15 17:26, Nigel Auger wrote:
>> You may also want to check out dreamhost.com
>> <http://dreamhost.com> if you don't mind using a US based
>> service. You get shell access with their standard hosting plan
>> and they seem to offer unlimited everything (data storage, data
>> use, hosted web sites, users, etc.). You get one free domain and,
>> I believe, unlimited subdomains ("something.dreamhosters.com
>> <http://something.dreamhosters.com>") which are great for
>> experimenting, informal blogging, etc.. I use the shell access
>> regularly for socks proxy browsing and watching US based
>> entertainment. If you are not in a rush, I suggest waiting for
>> one of their promotions. I literally paid something like $10 for
>> an entire year when I first started using them. Also, the
>> lifehacker.com <http://lifehacker.com> blog usually reports when
>> they have a deal on or when lifehacker themselves have a
>> Dreamhost promotion code that readers can use.
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Chris F.A. Johnson
>> <chris at cfajohnson.com <mailto:chris at cfajohnson.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 21 Dec 2015, John Moniz wrote:
>>
>> On 12/20/2015 09:19 PM, James Knott wrote:
>>
>> On 12/20/2015 06:28 PM, Daniel Villarreal wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for web hosting, for my own projects... anyone have
>> any recommendations?
>>
>> Why not make your own?  A Linux box makes an excellent server.
>>
>> Making my own interests me, mainly for the experience. I'm not a
>> computer guy but did set up a file server for the house at one
>> point and would like to do it again. Adding a web server would be
>> an interesting project, although it might be too much for my
>> skill level.
>>

>> Most distros have a webserver installed, if not by default, then
>> selectable through whatever package management tool you use.
>>
>> I have Apache running on the laptop I'm currently using as my
>> main machine. I develop my sites locally and then upload them to
>> hostgator when ready.
>>
>> -- Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com>

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software --- Office & Business Automation --- Consulting