[GTALUG] hobbyist web hosting recommendations?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 12:54:31 UTC 2015

On 20 December 2015 at 18:28, Daniel Villarreal <youcanlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for web hosting, for my own projects... anyone have any
> recommendations?

If I were starting again (and I may well be shortly ...) I'd go with
hover for name management and Digital Ocean for the server(s).  I
already use both at work and have been very happy with them.

Hover isn't the cheapest, but their prices are reasonable, they offer
automatic privacy for domain owners, and their name management for
sub-domains and the like is excellent.

Digital Ocean is kind of a pain because yes, you do have to admin your
own server, but that's also the plus side: no one decides which
services are available for you to install.  So it depends how much
time you want to spend, and how much flexibility you need.  At their
cheapest, D.O. is $5US a month, although I'd encourage you to turn on
the automatic backups for +20% per month.  And start with the smallest
server, because you can expand it to the next tier very easily - but
shrinking the server requires considerably more work if you realize
you didn't need such a big and expensive box.

Good luck.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/