[GTALUG] hobbyist web hosting recommendations?

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 08:03:13 UTC 2015

On 12/20/15 21:19, James Knott wrote:
> On 12/20/2015 06:28 PM, Daniel Villarreal wrote:
>> I'm looking for web hosting, for my own projects... anyone have any
>> recommendations?
>
> Why not make your own?  A Linux box makes an excellent server.

That's definitely an option, thanks for the suggestion, Mr. Knott.

I currently use free WordPress, free Google web hosting, as well as a
free wiki.wiki account. I don't see a reason to bring this in-house for
now, I basically just serve static content, not doing any e-commerce...
the price is right, but can I do better? I have to ask myself what can I
achieve with as little server maintenance as possible and maximize
availability, while spending something I'm comfortable with?

For the pricing I'm seeing, and also for the pricing I'm not seeing (try
to figure out costs from places that price by the hour, and throw in a
monthly "service" fee), and the benefits of having a web site hosted in
a data center, I think that buying a web hosting plan could potentially
be very cost-effective.

I could set up the server (GNU/Linux or OpenBSD), but I have limited
free time.

thanks for your time,
Daniel Villarreal
http://www.youcanlinux.org/