[GTALUG] Seeking help with a unique Linux project?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Sat Dec 19 19:09:28 UTC 2015

Hi there,
playing catch up  with these. You asked...

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Blaise Alleyne wrote:

> On 15/12/15 12:04 PM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
>>

> Oh, okay. So, why Squeeze then?

Well, prior to joining here and starting this exchange, I had several
reasons, some of which remain.
for one very important reason, I have a full set of Squeeze DVD images
sitting   in this space.
I think I said I am on the Debian discussion list.  A..couple of years ago
or so, one of their members who claimed to understand Linux sent me a hard
drive containing what was supposed to be enough Debian  with which to
start.
I had a computer built for the drive, one of my engineer friends maintains
my  primary computers, even though Linux is not his thing.
When we put the drive in, Debian recognize everything, but there is no way
to access the internet.  i later ran tests with the help of CNIB.

Since I realize I am going to need knowledgeable  greater sighted and
in person help, and since asking
for long distance help seems counter productive, I did not want to start
from scratch unless absolutely needful.
I have been told the lack of internet might be repaired, the programs i
require for composition already here etc, and i want to be sure I can
provide  enough things to make any other help I require easy for
someone...it is  the least I can do.
Then there is the question of if I want  to totally forget ever using the
box directly.  My main synthesizer  will not work to be sure.
however there are other external hardware ones that do, they run with USB
which is one of two reasons i do not desire a USB based keyboard.
Still,  it seems speech will be an issue, directly, at least outside of
squeeze.
>From what you provided in other posts though Latency  is a far far greater
issue. Music comes first for this machine.  If a low latency kernel is
required,  then I must plan for ssh telnet to have screen reader access.
If I cannot  find a pro audio package plus a latency solution for an
earlier kernel, then  again speech must be via ssh TELNET and a later
edition of Linux  will be used.
That will mean for me finding help on the installation however.
Make more sense?
Harmoniously,
Kare