[GTALUG] Ten grand for this?

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Fri Dec 18 23:37:13 UTC 2015

phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca wrote:
> From Metro News today:
>
> Two top McGuinty aides charged in gas plants computer probe

> Faist was paid $10,000 for wiping the drives out of the taxpayer-funded
> Liberal caucus budget, police allege. The party subsequently repaid the
> sum to the public treasury.
>
> Ten grand to erase some hard drives?
>
> Boot a Linux CD or USBKey.
> Change to the root directory.
> rm -rf *.
>
> Done.
>
> Or maybe it was $50.00 to erase the drives and $9950.00 for 'discretion'.

For less than that you could probably destroy the drives and pay back
their depreciated cost.  Beats finding out that someone's forensic
recovery skills trump your data-deletion-fu.

I'm told the Pentagon leans toward taking its busted hard drives to a
nearby army base and melting them down with thermite.  I've found that a
.25" drill bit tends to go dull really fast drilling through old hard
drives, but a pneumatic chisel with a pointy bit turns them into
unreadable scrap pretty quickly.

The project being worth $10k to someone does rather say that someone
found that a better bargain than going to jail.

--
Anthony de Boer