[GTALUG] Seeking help with a unique Linux project?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Dec 15 15:35:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Mike wrote:

> Speaking for myself, please stay on-list. I'm watching with rapt attention
> as details unfold 8-)
>
> Mike

Here you go..
Hi all,
Blaise, I will indeed write you off list too, but am never one to
disappoint an audience, smiles.  Especially if they are reading
with wrapped attention.  As promised, some of the command line
tools I have discovered so far.
For music notation there are a couple, ABC Notation  is included
in Debian, which I understand is a really simple tool.  there are
some more complete doors though,
Like muscript, for example :-)
    http://www.pjb.com.au/muscript/index.html
with its associated midi2muscript utility:
    http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/midi2muscript.html
Which lets you shift a midi file into notation..or so I
understand.
Then there are the tools for  monitoring and audio work,
For Audio recording and processing by way of example,  there is
Joel's Nama:
https://freeshell.de/~bolangi/nama/
Joel is a presence on both the Debian users discussion list, and
the Linux audio list via yahoo groups.  Very nice guy, with
rather a few samples of his programs in creative use on his site.
I am told that ecasound  is needful for his program,
http://www.eca.cx/ecasound
I am equally told though that the package already exists in Linux
distributions like Debian, but have no first hand knowledge of
this being true.
For MIDI there is Midish:
http://www.midish.org

I am told manuals are actually on the site <hurrah!>   but I dare
say  how you can incorporate the program is up to you.  I was
directed to some helpful commands however.
https://freeshell.de/~silvain/software/fs_midish_extra-1.0.tar.bz

I am told that audio processing can be improved with good LADSPA
and LV2 plugins.  Again either in the distros themselves, or
search worthy via Google.  I do not know directly if this helps with
the latency  kernel factor though?
For very good quality reverbs checkout Fons Adriaensen's
jconvolver:
http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads/index.html
I  am told it will tell you, which packages to download or again
Perhaps already in the distribution, though
I'm not sure about jconvolver.
As for your Jack question, the answer is no.  In fact I am not
even sure what that program does, but I am not as of yet using
Linux directly on any computer of my own.
I am feeling that you are building a very strong case for my ssh
telnet idea with the kennel situation as it relates to pro audio.
I care far more about the machine's ability to let me make music
at the professional level then I do about my using speech on the
computer itself.  Since a server should, or can be a part of a
properly configured Linux  installation though, I believe I can
still do my work  even if the kernel does not support speech for
me.
More off list and thanks for that invitation!
Hope others find these tools of use.
Harmoniously,
Kare