[GTALUG] Seeking help with a unique Linux project?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Dec 15 01:11:00 UTC 2015

Hello Blaise,
Thanks so very much in advance for the wisdom I feel sure you can provide.
I honestly admit  to being a touch of a singer snob who imagines one can
only perform  live with well other live people smiles.
So when Bob wrote of your creating, I confess I got rather curious as
well.
As for command line music making  tools, there are actually rather a few
I  am  learning.  I am compiling a list with links, since I do not know
yet
your distribution of preference, or exactly how you work.
Articulating my desires musically may make more sense than the ssh telnet
aspect truth be told.
In all honesty however, I cannot say with hands on firmness that I can
drive the car where I wish to go.
I was more of a singer / arranger than a songwriter until the past few
years.  Now I have all this music I desire moving from the studio in my
head and heart  onto sheet music, into performing form, as I am sure you
can understand.
  Since I am writing full arrangements, all the parts with my lyrics, I want
to  play all of the parts, piano, strings, guitar etc.,  that are in my
head and then
  get the completed work into sheet certainly both audio and sheet
possibly.
How I imagine doing this, is with a quality   piano / keyboard that also
has several additional instrument options to simulate sound wise for
composition only for now at least, the other instrument's for which I am
writing.
<Still awake?>
Now, this is where my visual memory, blended with my lack of first hand
Linux  experience starts to get a bit...well hopeful.
I imagine connecting said piano / keyboard  to the m-audio audiophile 2496
sound card I have in mind,  using any one of the dozen or so tools for the
command line I am finding  are included in Debian, writing each part one
at a time, putting the piece together, and transferring the completed work
to a composing  package, you referenced Lillypoind,  which is
terrific, but  there are a couple
more.
I am hunting the instrument along with the talent for the Linux side of my
desire.
The older the better in a way, I tend to be a buttons kind of girl, not a
touch  screen one.
Granted I know some keyboards have  multi-track sequencers built in.
Letting me <I think?  compose entirely on said keyboard and transfer the
finished product...strong emphasis on the  I think.
There may be another way that I have not considered, I mean besides the
traditional way  of doing the recording, I am a radio producer too, so have
pro tools, a mac  a control surface etc. etc.
Still I would rather use Linux because I know the composition  programs
exist,  that i may be able to script in Linux some of what I need...not me,
but tap into some sources for this.  There is no real program for
composition  mac wise, certainly not going back to the edition I am using
to run my
pro
tools setup.
The ssh-telnet aspect simply lets me treat the Linux box like a server,
running the commands  from  my main computer where I am already
comfortable, both with  my speech synthesizer,  and in a small way  with
the command line based on my daily use of a comparative Linux shell.
Oh that reminds me, I spoke of issues with speech in more  current Linux
Kernels.  This is because the ability to use a hardware source for speech
no longer exists in the new ones, like in Jessie.  Only software speech
which for me is out of the question.
One can compile the new distribution with the older Kennel, but that. is.
way!!! beyond me laughs.
Is all this making more sense?
Will have those programs for you tomorrow.
Thanks for joining the adventure!
I likewise thank you Bob for inviting Blaise to the party.
Kare