[GTALUG] Interesting essay on filesystem consistency

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon Dec 14 10:48:36 UTC 2015

On 13/12/15 10:48 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> http://danluu.com/file-consistency/
>
> I found it interesting that ReiserFS was pointed at as having amongst
> the best handling of errors, passing them back sensibly to applications.
>
> Also interesting was that they pointed at using SQLite as a way of
> mostly hiding applications from worrying about such troubles.
>
> Also entertaining was the notion of "MBox considered harmful"; makes
> me like MH and Maildir all the better, as they have the merit of
> storing a message per file, so that there's fewer concurrency issues
> surrounding re-opening files and rewriting them.  (Possibly I'm wrong,
> and the problem just shifts to directory metadata access...)
> --
> When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing it to the
> question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Updating a mailbox is an example of using the smallest possible set of
primitives from V6.
It was done in such a way that exactly and only one binary did the task,
and depended only
on the atomicity of creat(O_EXCL), seek and and write.

It's surprisingly hard, much as is creating a directory entry, and is
one of the examples we
were told to understand when studying Unix, as they were wildly
different from OS/360 and GCOS.

--dave