[GTALUG] Emulating a USB keyboard using ???

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Sun Dec 6 12:29:23 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 11:10:38AM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> If you have a BBB I think it would be worth considering, but if you're
> starting from zero an Arduino Nano or Teensy might be better (the
> Teensy is used in the Ergodox keyboard project).  A quick search
> turned up these:

Thanks Giles.  I do have BBB, and that's where I will start my reading.

I have seen Teensy, LaundPad (from TI), and others.  Most examples
go something like
    - if a button is pressed
    - then send data to USB client port

What I'm trying to do is send keypress from another PC, eliminating any
"manual" pressing.

I was thinking to hook up serial-to-USB cable to UART pins on those
boards, and move data between UART serial port and USB client port.
This will work (I think).  But, I need USB hub, one serial-to-USB cable
for each PC, and worry about distance and the length of USB cables.

BBB comes with ethernet, which is easier to work with.  BBB also has
UART pins, so I'll use those as last resort.
--
William