[GTALUG] Anyone using Mosh?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 1 16:13:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 02:26:24PM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> https://mosh.mit.edu/
>
> If you scroll down, there's an introductory video that's pretty
> interesting.  Sounds like a great idea, with a couple caveats: I
> wonder about the security and there's a wicked hook in a question
> right at the end that suggests it's very NOT firewall friendly.
>
> Packages are available for Debian, and apparently other distros too.
>
> Anyone tried it, or using it on a regular basis?

I looked at it, but the restrictions make it unusable in my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosh_%28software%29#Prerequisites_to_the_server

Having to allow arbitrary UDP to my servers it just not practical.

I find ssh in general reliable enough that the occational need to
reconnect and reattach to screen is no big deal, and certainly not worth
the cost needed to run mosh.

--
Len Sorensen