[GTALUG] How to install Intel HD Graphics driver?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 31 01:29:24 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 02:19:42AM -0400, William Park wrote:
> For NVidia cards, I just download/install
>     NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-aaa.bb-no-compat32.run
> It's one file, and it's easy.  To run mplayer with VDPAU, I just set
>     vo=vdpau
> in the configuration file.
>
> I assume it's the same for AMD cards.  I don't have AMD cards, so don't
> know.
>
> For those with Intel HD Graphics, how do you download/install driver?
> I went to Intel site, and it's utterly confusing.  I just want Intel's
> driver, so I can try out VAAPI.

I thought the intel chips (except the few older atoms with powervr
graphics) had open source drivers.

On debian this package appears relevant:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/i965-va-driver

Some info on using such a driver in case it doesn't automatically work:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/10/enable-hardware-acceleration-on-intel-graphics-cards-in-ubuntu/

--
Len Sorensen