[GTALUG] On the information prowl

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 17:25:58 UTC 2015

On 8/25/15, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Russell Reiter <rreiter91 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
<snip previous>

> You're suggesting that these 2 hold value even long after they hit the
> scene. Will look for them and get them handy!

The value of Unix/Linux computing is that the concepts rarely
radically change. They way tools are implemented goes through cycles
of evolution, just as the kernel does, but an understanding of the
core concepts and history is always helpful in a troubleshooting
environment. These books are chock full of the lingua franca of
historical Unix.

I use these books for the reason that, I'm a perennial newbie. I
support users who more often than not lead me to the bleeding edge
because they want all the bells and whistles of MS Windows, as well as
the conceptual trust of a Unix file system.

I'm not sure that meld is possible, but I support the efforts of
people who enjoy learning about computing and not just how to use a
computer. That's why I chose to use Linux instead of MS a couple of
decades ago and still hammer away at it today.

> Thanks for helping!

No problem. I'm just passing on advice I got fifteen years ago from my
old friend Jan Carlson and others when I joined this list. While I
envy all the availability of howto's on the internet these days, I
wouldn't trade the struggling through understanding man pages and
familiarizing myself with unix syntax for love nor money.

Russell