[GTALUG] On the information prowl

Marcelo Cavalcante kalibslack at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 01:12:35 UTC 2015

> Greetings
>
> I am in need of learning how to setup Apache2, Postgresql, NFS at the same
> time as I am setting up my NAS box running OpenMediaVault.
>
> OMV looks very impressive but with these plugins (and on the sides) there is
> a tremendous amount that needs to be setup and if its not right - - - well
> let's just say things are interesting.
>
> I have found over the years that man pages and tech docs for Linux, GNU and
> the like are written for those that really do know what they are doing and
> merely need a reminder to remember how to EXACTLY write something or set
> that something up so that a desired result happens. Now to the rest of us
> who  use these tools and have not spent years memorizing C, C++, C#, Python,
> perl, sql are don't consider these our mother tongue the docs are most often
> less than useful and too many times less than comprehensible (one of the
> biggest lacks is examples of good and bad usage of commands). I have learnt
> my way around certain things and have almost gotten comfortable doing things
> 'under the hood' but being faced with all of the first paragraph (adding in
> remote server VirtualBox vms at the very least) is a wee bit daunting. Have
> found official docs but these assume a lot and as soon as there is something
> that doesn't work exactly as expected - - - well - - - I'm supposed to know
> how to modify things (by osmosis I think!).

Well, I need to agree that in many cases.. that´s the case, but not always.

There´s this[1] site where I can always find very good articles about
how to do stuff like those you´re looking for:

As you can see, their base is CentOS, but you´ll find a link with the
label "Other OS", where you will be able to choose another distro.

[1] - http://www.server-world.info/en/

Best regards,