[GTALUG] On the information prowl

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 00:44:59 UTC 2015

Greetings

I am in need of learning how to setup Apache2, Postgresql, NFS at the same
time as I am setting up my NAS box running OpenMediaVault.

OMV looks very impressive but with these plugins (and on the sides) there
is a tremendous amount that needs to be setup and if its not right - - -
well let's just say things are interesting.

I have found over the years that man pages and tech docs for Linux, GNU and
the like are written for those that really do know what they are doing and
merely need a reminder to remember how to EXACTLY write something or set
that something up so that a desired result happens. Now to the rest of us
who  use these tools and have not spent years memorizing C, C++, C#,
Python, perl, sql are don't consider these our mother tongue the docs are
most often less than useful and too many times less than comprehensible
(one of the biggest lacks is examples of good and bad usage of commands). I
have learnt my way around certain things and have almost gotten comfortable
doing things 'under the hood' but being faced with all of the first
paragraph (adding in remote server VirtualBox vms at the very least) is a
wee bit daunting. Have found official docs but these assume a lot and as
soon as there is something that doesn't work exactly as expected - - - well
- - - I'm supposed to know how to modify things (by osmosis I think!).

Does anyone out there have suggestion(s) on how to guides for setup,
modification and learning at least the first 3 listed?

I would be very grateful to find (have already spent many hours looking for
how to do things using duckduck) some straightforward guides. When I try to
look for something specific like Apache2.2 - - - well all too often its for
2.0 or 2.4 or its 8 years old and nothing in Debian 8 is even similar
(different file names for example).

I have been trying to keep a log enumerating what I am doing so that
hopefully my experiences will be useful for some for at least a short while.

TIA

Dee