[GTALUG] Poweredger server question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:39:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 08:00:26AM -0400, Anthony de Boer wrote:
> > o1bigtenor wrote:
> > >
> > > Its a Perc 5/i if that helps.
> >
> > Ah yes.  Those.  It Might Be Dead.
> >
> > (A past gig had a lot of Dell servers, an annoying number of which were
> > suffering from dead RAID controllers and/or remote consoles, while the
> > IBM, HP, and Sun hardware generally just kept working.)
> >
> > However, the various hardware RAID controllers I've had to deal with
> > always had a BIOS screen (usually a pause during boot telling you hit
> > some key combo to enter RAID config) and you need to get into that to
> > tell it to forget the old setup and usefully configure (mirror, stripe,
> > or JBOD) the drives it has now.  This will also confirm it does actually
> > see them.  After that's done, it should present its virtual drive(s) to
> > the OS.
>
> Apparently the Perc 5/i can't do JBOD.  The standard work around appears
> to be to create a 1 disk RAID0 on each drive and use those as the disks.

Well - - I would not have thought of that.

As I wanted 4 discs on a Raid 10 and 2 on a Raid 1 I think I am happy with
how
things have worked out.

Now if this system craters then I do know that the next purchase will be a
little
different. I like the processors in this box but the bios is a royal pita
and some
of the other decisions make by the system designers choices do leave
something
to be desired.

Thanks for the help and information!

Dee