[GTALUG] Poweredger server question

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Tue Aug 18 12:00:26 UTC 2015

o1bigtenor wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > No idea which raid controller model you are dealing with.
>
> Its a Perc 5/i if that helps.

Ah yes.  Those.  It Might Be Dead.

(A past gig had a lot of Dell servers, an annoying number of which were
suffering from dead RAID controllers and/or remote consoles, while the
IBM, HP, and Sun hardware generally just kept working.)

However, the various hardware RAID controllers I've had to deal with
always had a BIOS screen (usually a pause during boot telling you hit
some key combo to enter RAID config) and you need to get into that to
tell it to forget the old setup and usefully configure (mirror, stripe,
or JBOD) the drives it has now.  This will also confirm it does actually
see them.  After that's done, it should present its virtual drive(s) to
the OS.

--
Anthony de Boer