[GTALUG] Poweredger server question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 11:45:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 6:48 AM, Brent Kimberley <Brent.Kimberley at durham.ca>
wrote:

> ‎Using the service tag, go to support.dell.com and read the manual(s),
> drivers, firmware etc. Press control C or R at boot up to access the raid
> config. Don't forget to check / upgrade the firmware.

Not a bad idea - - except Dell manuals are a joke.
There is absolutely no information that I could find using both Duckduck
and ms google on how to setup the BIOS (and its absolutely NOT intuitive!!).
Don't you just love computers that require half a dozen training courses to
use!

Upgrading the firmware is also a very good idea but to do so I first have
to install MS windows on the machine as the upgrade package is a .exe file.
That's sort of interesting when they tell you about RHEL, SUSE and a third
Linux operating system option for the server itself. So although I would
love to upgrade the firmware I'm not sure how I can actually do it - - -
that may be why it hadn't been upgraded previously!

Thanks for the ideas!

Dee