[GTALUG] Ubuntu (or debian): apt-get auto-remove?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Aug 17 01:28:21 UTC 2015

| From: Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>

Thanks.

Here's a slightly shorter version.  Picky, picky, picky.  Looking gift
horse in the mouth.

I try to start all my scripts with "set -eu" so that more bugs will be
detected.

"set -e" causes the shell to exit if a command unexpectedly fails.
That is, a command returns non-zero and was invoked in a non-test
context.  Just what you want.

"set -u" tells the shell to treat a reference to an undefined
parameter as an error.  It will make no difference in this script.
Until the script evolves more complexity.

| ===== update script =====
| #! /bin/bash
|
| # Program: update
| # Purpose: Perform 4-step apt-get update, dist-upgrade, autoremove and autoclean
| # Author: Bob Jonkman
| # Date: 22 March 2012

set -eu

| echo "Update:"