[GTALUG] Alternative to KOrganizer (KDE) ?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu Aug 13 17:20:25 UTC 2015

I've done pretty much what Blaise has done. Calendar was the last
Google service I got rid of, since Google does CALSCH (Calendaring and
Scheduling) really well, and follows iCalendar standards (or used to;
now Lightning requires a "Google Calendar Provider" plugin to make
Google work as a calendar repository).

I was already using Thunderbird and Lightning as my desktop calendar
tools, so I installed ownCloud to provide a calendar repository to
replace Google. Works great! I think the ownCloud calendar web
interface is awful, though. But then I found that ownCloud was useful
for file sync between desktops too, so bonus!

Haven't had much success with CalDAV clients on my Android phone
(which is Google-free; FDroid only).  But that may be because I'm
still using Cyanogenmod 7.2, the equivalent of Gingerbread (Android
2.3.7). Sadly, there's nothing more recent available for my phone (LG
P999) because of the proprietary AWS radio which I need for Wind Mobile.

And kudos to Hugh for fighting the good privacy fight!

- --Bob.

On 13/08/15 08:31 AM, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
> On 13/08/15 07:54 AM, Giles Orr wrote:
>> On 13 August 2015 at 02:00, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>
>> wrote:
>>> KOrganizer is a calendar program in KDE.  And, it's the only
>>> thing that's tying me to KDE desktop.
>>>
>>> What calendar program do you guys use in other desktops?  I
>>> know of and test drove - Evolution (GNOME) - Orage (XFCE) But,
>>> they can't pull me off KDE, yet.
>>
>> I use Google Calendar, which is brilliant AND co-ordinates with
>> my phone.  It also gives my entire life schedule to Google,
>> totally compromising my privacy.  I suspect you're being more
>> reasonable and avoiding this route: more power to you.  Sadly,
>> all calendars in my life are now measured by the great - but
>> privacy destroying - Google Calendar, and all others have failed.
>> <sigh>
>>

> I wrote about my experience degooglifying my calendar a few years
> ago:
> http://blaise.ca/blog/2013/05/18/degooglifying-part-iv-calendar/
>
> tldr: it's totally possible to use a CalDAV server like ownCloud,
> and sync with Android using Davdroid, and use other CalDAV clients
> on the desktop like Lightning.

- --
Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> Phone: +1-519-635-9413
SOBAC Microcomputer Services http://sobac.com/sobac/
Software --- Office & Business Automation --- Consulting