[GTALUG] Ubuntu (or debian): apt-get auto-remove?

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:04:39 UTC 2015

I wouldn't completely trust autoremove, as once it tried to
automatically remove X-related packages from my desktop system.

I figured the way autoremove works -- it gives a best guess of what is
not needed, but that guess can sometimes be wrong, you should always
review the package list and be extra suspicious when apt-get tries to
remove hundreds of packages. Generally, system works well for removing
old versions of libraries.

If autoremove is nagging you too much -- just run 'apt-get install
<packagename autoremove doesn't like>' and that will solve the problem.
Nothing will get installed or removed but the package will be ignored by
autoremove in the future.

Alex.