[GTALUG] privacy [was Re: Alternative to KOrganizer (KDE) ?]

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:13:21 UTC 2015

On 13 August 2015 at 08:32, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
> | From: Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com>
>
> | I use Google Calendar, which is brilliant AND co-ordinates with my
> | phone.  It also gives my entire life schedule to Google, totally
> | compromising my privacy.  I suspect you're being more reasonable and
> | avoiding this route: more power to you.  Sadly, all calendars in my
> | life are now measured by the great - but privacy destroying - Google
> | Calendar, and all others have failed.  <sigh>
>
> "You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." Scott McNealy 1999
>
> "The future is already here -- it's just not very evenly
> distributed" William Gibson 1993
>
> I dispair of privacy but am fighting a rear-guard action.  iOS and
> Android leak stuff like crazy, but what's the mobile alternative?
>
> Now desktops are copying this.  And not just browsers.  Windows 10
> appears as bad as Android and iOS.  Simple example: Microsoft gets
> information about all the programs you run and that cannot be turned
> off (it could be firewalled surely).  Your OS as an Advanced
> Persistent Threat.
>
> Many, but not all, of these leaks come with advantages to the user.
> For example, Cortana, Siri, and Google Now(?) may be fun but they are
> always listening to you and sending something home.  Google (and
> other) search have to send the queries upstream.
>
> If I remember correctly, on a recent update, I had to give Google
> Slides general permission to use the microphone.  Huh?
>
> Our legal system doesn't provide tools and norms to limit the damage.
> We need mandated and enforce limitations on information flows within
> organizations as well as between organizations.  This is going to be
> hard since Big Data is such a thing.  And specifict consent should be
> required.
>
> I really don't like it that our desktops are becoming treacherous
> devices, following our smartphones.

Ubuntu phone, now available outside Europe:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/ubuntu_phone_global_sales/

Note that while you can buy it, connectivity in the U.S. (which
probably means Canada too) may be spotty.  The larger 5" model is 200
euros, which currently translates to $290 Canadian - although that
doesn't include tax or shipping.  I'll be watching this closely: I
have an intense aversion to Android and Google's snooping habits, and
the idea of a Linux phone is very appealing.

I'm not good at reading the standards and I don't care much about data
plans (in fact I don't use them on my phone, only voice and Wifi).
How well would this behave in Canada?

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/