[GTALUG] Thinkpad T420 as a VM host

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 11 17:26:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:18:19AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
>
> | On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 11:20:10PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>
> | The W530 is perfectly portable.  It closes and fits in a large bag and
> | can be carried places. :)
>
> The second computer I owned was portable: a Kaypro II.
> <http://www.oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html>
> 26 pounds.  It did have a handle.
>
> | I would hate to do it on a regular basis though.
>
> The Kaypro got heavier the farther you carried it.
>
> | It does support 32GB ram and in my case has a Core-i7 CPU, which means
> | quad core + hyperthreading at about 3GHz.  The fact it has a 170W power
> | supply probably tells something about the power consumption.
>
> The Kaypro had 64k of RAM and I overclocked the machine to 4MHz (I
> replaced the Z80 CPU with a Z80A).
>
> | > Beware: bilingual keyboard
> |
> | Actually I suspect it is french canadian keyboard.
>
> No, it is a keyboard intended to support English and French
> (bilingual).
>
> |  One of the worst
> | keyboard layouts ever made.
>
> My fingers don't like it (yet?).  My head thinks it is Good Thing.  My
> fingers mostly win.
>
> My fingers don't like change.  I still only use left shift because on
> keypunch machines right shift meant something different.  I still am
> annoyed that I had to change habits when changing from Sun keyboards
> to PC keyboards.  And fn-vs-ctrl placement on ThinkPads vs other
> notebooks vs desktops.

Well thinkpads have a bios setting to swap fn and control for those
that prefer it that way (and in the case of my wife's thinkpad when she
broke the fn key, being able to swap it with control meant a key for
controling the keyboard light and brightness existed again until we got
a replacement keyboard).

Dell has the keys wrong of course and no option to swap them.  Also their
keyboard sucks and the touchpad and trackpoint are awful.  Dell sucks. :)

--
Len Sorensen