[GTALUG] Slightly OT: git question

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:23:21 UTC 2015

I'm writing a Python script that checks git repositories in the user's
home folder (other folders is an option that should be added soon) and
then tells you their status, both local and remote.  I want to release
it publicly using github, but I'd like to maintain a private repo, and
only push certain releases to github.  I admit this is mostly because
I keep extensive notes in the source code and am perhaps a bit
embarrassed what those notes say both about my memory and my limited
coding skills.  I should probably just get over it - particularly
since the code itself probably says more than the notes.  But - git is
flexible enough that I imagine that this is an option: has anybody
done this?

As my knowledge of Python is somewhat rudimentary, so is my knowledge
of git.  The only thing I'm fairly sure about is that rebasing will be
involved.  If I wasn't concerned about pull requests (as novel as it
seems now, I like to hope they'll happen) this could be done in any
number of sloppy ways.  But it seems like I need either a branch or a
separate repo (which, and why?) that includes only the github data,
and I need my private repo to have the github one as a "tracked
branch" or something like that that I can merge from.  Is this making
sense, or am I thinking about it all wrong?

I welcome all suggestions and thoughts, thanks.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com