[GTALUG] Thinkpad T420 as a VM host

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Aug 11 15:18:19 UTC 2015

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>

| On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 11:20:10PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

| The W530 is perfectly portable.  It closes and fits in a large bag and
| can be carried places. :)

The second computer I owned was portable: a Kaypro II.
<http://www.oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html>
26 pounds.  It did have a handle.

| I would hate to do it on a regular basis though.

The Kaypro got heavier the farther you carried it.

| It does support 32GB ram and in my case has a Core-i7 CPU, which means
| quad core + hyperthreading at about 3GHz.  The fact it has a 170W power
| supply probably tells something about the power consumption.

The Kaypro had 64k of RAM and I overclocked the machine to 4MHz (I
replaced the Z80 CPU with a Z80A).

| > Beware: bilingual keyboard
|
| Actually I suspect it is french canadian keyboard.

No, it is a keyboard intended to support English and French
(bilingual).

|  One of the worst
| keyboard layouts ever made.

My fingers don't like it (yet?).  My head thinks it is Good Thing.  My
fingers mostly win.

My fingers don't like change.  I still only use left shift because on
keypunch machines right shift meant something different.  I still am
annoyed that I had to change habits when changing from Sun keyboards
to PC keyboards.  And fn-vs-ctrl placement on ThinkPads vs other
notebooks vs desktops.