[GTALUG] UEFI bios/firmware

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 11 14:25:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:39:02AM +0200, Abby Bassie-Cripps wrote:

Well from what I can find the process is:

When you see Toshiba logo, hit F2, then you should be in the UEFI (BIOS)
settings.

Under security tab there should be an option for 'secure boot' which
you want to set to disabled.  If you want to keep windows working,
that should be all you change, and then you should be able to install
linux as long as the distribution is new enough to support UEFI booting.
If you don't want to keep windows and you want to use an older style
distribution that does not do UEFI booting, then you have to also find
the "CSM boot" setting (under advanced/system settings) and turn that on.
That will break booting windows 8.1 on the machine though.  I would
personally stick with UEFI booting these days.

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

--
Len Sorensen